I’m SUPER excited to announce that Ragamuffin Patterns will be sponsoring the very first Sew Challenging College Scholarship Competition! All high school students with an interest in fashion are invited to participate.
Entrants will be asked to create a unique outfit using a Ragamuffin Patterns design. Outfits can be for any occasion, from a spring formal dance to a casual day out. This is your chance to get creative. Just make sure your choices work together–and be sure to bring the wow factor!
Two winners will be selected. The first place prize is a $200 scholarship and a $50 credit to the Ragamuffin Patterns shop. The second place prize is a $75 scholarship and a $20 credit to the Ragamuffin Patterns shop.
- Must be a freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior in a public, charter, homeschool, private, or other high school.
- Must maintain a 2.5 GPA or above.
- Create a unique outfit for a spring formal dance, festivity, day out, or other occasion.
- Intend to pursue a career in fashion. Studies may focus on fashion, costume design, graphic design, public relations, photography, business, or any related field.
- Follow all other rules and requirements.
How to enter:
Sew your outfit using a design from the Ragamuffin Patterns shop. Then, create a video 2-3 minutes in length showing the process. All videos must include an introduction explaining the student’s interests and inspirations, footage of the design and sewing process, and the final project result. Videos should be uploaded to YouTube with the phrase “Ragamuffin Patterns’ Sew Challenging College Scholarship” somewhere in the title. Students who wish to protect their privacy may upload their videos as unlisted, with the understanding that winners may be posted to the Ragamuffin Patterns blog and social media pages. After completing these steps, students should fill out the entry form here.
Students who had to purchase a pattern will be reimbursed for the cost upon successful completion of the project and video submission (reimbursements will be given for each pattern used). If you wish to be reimbursed, you should create a Ragamuffin Patterns customer account when purchasing.
Multiple entries are allowed per student if a separate video and application is completed for each.
How to win:
Students will be judged on the following criteria:
- Creativity & originality – Student created the project themselves and made a unique outfit using a Ragamuffin Patterns design.
- Neatness & technique – Attire is well made and showcases the student’s skill in sewing and design.
- Quality of video – The sewing process is recorded and explained in a clear, understandable manner.
- Quality of responses – Written responses and explanations within the video are well thought out and show the student’s interest in fashion.
Finalists will be asked to submit three stylized photos wearing their outfit. These pictures will be posted on the Ragamuffin Patterns Facebook page and voted on by the public. The student who receives the most votes (likes and comments) will be named the winner.
June 1st: Video entries due
June 10th: Finalists notified
June 18th: Finalist photos due
June 20-25th: Voting period for finalists
June 26th: Winners announced
Do you have a business interested in supporting this scholarship? Fill out this form to sponsor future competitions.